Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bob Gimlin

Today, I think I'll write a short blog about someone we've all heard about. Anyone who has seen the Patterson-Gimlin film knows of him. His name is Bob Gimlin.

A couple of weeks ago, Abe Del Rio (Elusive1) asked me if I would be a guest co-host on his MN.BRT Bigfoot show that airs on Blog Talk Radio for the month of February. At the time, I didn't know who he would have on as guests, not did it matter to me. He asked, I accepted. Then I found out that the third week's guest was going to be Bob Gimlin. Anyhing but winning the lottery was not going to keep me away from this show. Both Mike Killen and I had heard that Bob doesn't do Bigfoot shows, otherwise we would have asked him to do our show, but that silver tongued Del Rio had somehow convinced Bob to come on his show, (darn!).

Prior to the show, I mentally had a list of all the questions that I would ask him. I mean, he was there! He was one of only two people that saw and filmed this creature that changed the bigfoot Community at the time. This film has been scrutinized by scientist and lay people alike from all over the world and still is to this day. And, I would get to talk with him.

The first thing that surprised me is, this man is 79 years old and still ropes and rides. Hmm, I would be really grateful if I could reach that age, in a wheelchair while being forced fed and this man is still breaking horses! The second thing is, with all the notoriety that this person has received over the last 40 years, this quiet, unassuming man could be the guy next door.

This was a great interview. Bob gave a step by step description of the encounter. he relates that he never made a dime out of it. His marriage was in trouble for a while because he had been hounded by the media all these years. And all because, as he states also, he was just doing Roger Patterson a favor on going with him on this trip. He calls a 'creek' a 'crick' and talks of wilderness horseback trips like you and I would describe driving to the corner store for milk and bread.

My long list of questions went out the window however. because the chatroom was crawling with questions, I had to settle for 2 or 3 for myself. I did ask him what his very first thought was that he had when he saw the creature? His answer was, 'Why, it's real!" This statement is much bigger than it's three small words because prior to going on this trip, he did not believe in any creature as Bigfoot! There were many questions of this sort and I can't recount them here. If you haven't heard this show already and have an interest in a first hand account of this sighting, then I would strongly urge you to go and give it a listen. Abe and his co-host Evie have an exceptionally good show on Friday nights at 9:00 P.M. Eastern and it can be found here www.Blogtalkradio.com/MN.BRT

Oh, by the way, maybe I will get in the questions that I missed. Mike Killen and I will be at the Eastern Ohio Bigfoot Investigation Center conference on May 14-16 and it just so happens that Bob Gimlin will also be there. "Hi Mr. Gimlin, remember me? I just have 30 to 40 questions to ask you. You don't mind, do you?

Okay folks, out of time. Out of space. See you all next weekend.

1 comment:

Mike Esordi from Believe It Tour said...

Mr. Gimlin is an amazing guy. His stories about everyday life are just as interesting as listening to him talk about Bluff Creek. See you all in Ohio!